Position: Executive Director
Organization: Bowen McCauley Dance
Job Location: Arlington, VA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
For 18 years BMD has energized broadly diverse audiences with inventive and vibrant choreography – a fusion of contemporary and classical techniques set to a sweeping range of musical styles. Showcasing McCauley’s choreography, our award-winning company is renowned for its spirited dancers, use of live music, the professionalism of its dance performances and its extraordinary outreach programs for socio-economically diverse communities. Ranging from free family-friendly programs to ticketed concerts, BMD performs regularly throughout Northern Virginia and the greater DC area.
BMD’s artistic focus is on expanding its reach and impact, introducing people of all ages to the joy of dance. Over the last 18 years, BMD has continued to fulfill its mission, bringing the joy of dance to people from Virginia to New York, and as far away as Mexico and Germany. The founding Artistic Director, Lucy Bowen McCauley, has choreographed more than 80 original pieces. BMD has collaborated with the best artists from a variety of fields, and has instituted outreach programs that, as evidenced by thoughtful feedback, have touched the lives of thousands. BMD holds open auditions and hires highly trained professional dancers from across the United States.
In 2008, Washingtonian recognized BMD as “one of the area’s best dance troupes” and McCauley as among the “top men and women who have helped transform Washington into one of the nation’s liveliest centers for the performing arts.” The Washington Post called BMD “Metro DC’s premier contemporary dance company.”
ABOUT THE POSITION – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Bowen McCauley Dance
The Executive Director reports to BMD Dance’s Board of Directors and works in partnership with the Artistic Director and the Board to develop and execute the strategic vision that supports BMD Dance’s artistic mission and values. The Executive Director will strive to enhance BMD Dance’s artistic recognition nationally and internationally, and will implement strategies to seek continued growth while ensuring organizational sustainability.
1. Pursue the fulfillment of BMD’s mission, in accordance with the artistic vision of the Artistic Director, and in consultation with the Board.
2. Maximize contributed and earned revenue.
3. Lead expansion and engagement of Board and donor base.
4. Develop financial reports and review financial and operating performance, including the development and tracking of field-based and company-specific targets, criteria, and indicators.
5. Expand marketing, communications, audience development, and public image.
6. Guide the administration and operations of BMD Dance.
7. Supervise an administrative team of two employees working in development, and programs and marketing; a contract finance manager and contract grant-writer; as well as seasonal interns.
1. Executive leadership: Organizes and motivates people to accomplish goals and empowers them by providing clear direction and purpose through a positive, dynamic example of leadership.
2. Entrepreneurship: Prioritizes activities to meet organizational goals and responsibilities, in a fast- paced and entrepreneurial environment.
3. Results orientation: Identifies strategic initiatives and embraces a comprehensive organizational focus that most effectively mobilizes human, technical and financial resources to maximize results.
4. Interpersonal skills: Initiates and develops constructive and productive relationships, in support of BMD’s artistic direction, and collaborates with a diverse range of people both internally and externally.
5. Communication skills: Communicates and relates to others clearly and considerately, in order to effectively advocate for and transmit the company’s interests to a variety of stakeholders.
6. Teamwork: Contributes positively and productively to the team and builds trusting and supportive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
7. Self-starting: Initiates and sustains momentum independently and is proactive in seeking new opportunities.
8. Artistic appreciation: Has a passion for the arts, and appreciates its multiple values and social relevance.
Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree preferred, with a track record of increasing levels of general management responsibility. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a dynamic public presence and compelling speaker, strong organizational and collaboration skills, and the ability to develop strong and mutually supportive relationships with the Artistic Director and Board, in addition to the staff, dancers, presenters, audiences and all those who make up the BMD Dance family.
APPLICATION AND INQUIRIES
Please forward resume to: BMDEDsearch@bmdc.org
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience